Menu Bar

19.6.10

Avocado cake with avocado cream

Avocado cake? Isn't that weird? - you may ask. I think most people here in Australia have the mentality that avocados are to be eaten as a savoury treat. However, where i grew up - Brazil - we consume avocados as a sweet treat such as in avocado ice-cream, avocado milkshake, avocado mousse, etc...In fact, i kinda found it a bit weird when Australians were having avocado as part of their salads, mains and sandwich spreads.
Since coming to Australia, i don't think i've ever made anything sweet with avocados except some avocado milkshake every now and then. With quite a few ripe avocados left in my pantry, i decided to make an avocado cake and some avocado cream to go with the cake. I had no idea of how it was going to turn out because avocados don't really have a strong and distinct flavour *i had my fingers crossed!
I just used the same recipe for making my Mini Banana Chiffon Cake but instead of bananas, i used 100g of mashed avocado. Since i wanted a flatter cake, i used my newly bought 20cm chiffon cake tin instead of the mini chiffon cake tin. I also made some avocado cream by simply beating some mashed avocado with some thickened cream and caster sugar.
As expected, the cake didn't have a strong avocado flavour but it turned out quite soft. Gladly, the avocado cream did enhance the overall taste of the cake. I ate it as my afternoon snack with a cup of green tea =)

2 snowdrop meringues:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I've never had a straight avocado cake, only chocolate and avocado! That looks really interesting! :)

小王子媽媽 said...

I also planning to bake a avocado cheese cake:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails