Menu Bar

19.7.10

HK: Golden Siam Thai Cuisine

First of all, sorry for taking so long to update! I was having some issues with my Internet and i hope i got it fixed. Since my NEW netbook can't run Photoshop, i have installed a similar program called GIMP and it takes a while to do some editing as i am not entirely familiar with its functions (hence the slowness).
Thanks for visiting my blog and being so supportive, i hope to update more often after a week or so without updates. Sorry! *with big, shiny watery eyes
I am currently in Hong Kong and it's been quite hot and humid; i have been able to keep my sanity thanks to the existence of air-con! As for my eating adventures here, it has been going well...i've had Japanese, Yum Cha, Afternoon tea, High tea, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese and heaps more that you will see in the coming posts!
***
As soon as i arrived in Hong Kong, it was dinner time! (how great is that?) We had Thai for dinner because i wanted to eat something refreshing and light! Golden Siam Thai Cuisine (Shop B13, B/F, Citygate Outlets, 20 Tat Tung Road, Lantau, Hong Kong, Tung Chung) is conveniently located near the airport and the outlets - but seriously, they are not cheap and definitely not the place to shop in HK! The restaurant itself is nicely decorated with some statues and art work from Thailand. The waitresses were dressed nicely in Thai clothes and they were polite. For some strange reason, most of them did not understand Cantonese - maybe to add authenticity to the restaurant? 
The good thing about eating out with my family is that i get to try a lot of different dishes without having to stuff myself or packing the leftovers home.
Instead of ordering the normal Green Papaya Salad or the Thai Beef Salad, i chose the Pomelo, Grapefruit and Apple Salad. It tasted refreshing and crunchy, making it perfect for a starter! The Tom Yum King Soup was subtly spicy and packed with seafood but it would have been perfect with a tad bit more of sourness! Yum to the prawns.
Pomelo, Grapefruit & Apple Salad
Tom Yum King Soup
The next to arrive was the Thai Taro Fried Rice. It was yummy and the taro taste was there but the dish overall didn't really taste Thai. It was nice to give it a try instead of ordering the usual Thai Pineapple Fried Rice. 
We ordered some miscellaneous dishes such as the Thai San Choi Bao, which to my surprise, was very spicy and we also ordered a Mussels a la Thai style. The mussels were average (not very fresh!) and i think i liked the stir-fried vegetable dish more. The vegetable is called 椰苗 and if anyone knows its English name, please let me know! (it didn't taste like brussels sprouts, but it did look like a longer version of it)
Thai San Choi Bao
Mussels a la Thai style
Thai Stir-fried vegetable
After finishing our dishes, we were given a bowl of Red Bean Sweet Soup each as complimentary dessert. Overall, the atmosphere and the service was nice and the meal was alright with some highlights.
I love sweet soups and i was so happy to remember that there are a plenty of sweet soup shops waiting for me to try here in HK! It's a HK thing~

Stay tuned, I'll (hopefully) be updating soon!

1 snowdrop meringues:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh you're in my dad's homeland! Have fun there! And I've tried using GIMP and it just doesn't seem to work the way I want it to-or perhaps I don't work the way it wants me to :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails